21 April 2015

Punctuation notes

Note #1

The FT does not include a full stop (aka period) at the end of the footnote to Hidden dangers that banking regulators fail to chart re writers Robert Lenzner and Bill Emmott.

Note #2

I've noted previously, but note again, that more and more newspapers and magazines do not include a full stop (aka period) at the end of their standfirsts (‘kickers’ in the US or ‘chapôs’ in French), possibly because they are seen as a sort of extended subheading, or pôssibly in line with a typographical fashion.

Note #3

I notice, though I'm not sure when the trend began, that some newspapers and magazines now write currencies in running text with the abbreviation before the sign, thus A$1,000, rather than $A1,000, US$1,000 rather than $US1,000 and so forth.
Does anyone know when this began?

Note #4

Some publications (example here) use the abbreviation 'pc' in headlines for 'per cent'.

ChatGPT, a drafting aid for translation by emulation

On 17 October 2011, I published the first of two posts summarising my general approach to the type of translation/adaptation services I was ...